Anfield reopens after security alert

Liverpool’s Anfield stadium was reopened on Tuesday following a security alert sparked by the reported disappearance of a man on a stadium tour, the Premier League club said.

The stadium was evacuated after the club reported that a man had gone missing from a tour group visiting the stadium, which led to a police operation that lasted several hours.

Following a search, Liverpool and Merseyside Police said they were satisfied that the stadium was secure, meaning Wednesday’s League Cup tie with Bournemouth should go ahead as planned.

“Anfield Stadium is now fully reopened, following a precautionary evacuation earlier this afternoon,” said a club spokesman.

“During the incident the club’s priority at all times was the safety and well-being of everyone involved. We can confirm the emergency services were called and we would like to thank them for their thorough response.

“Also, we acknowledge the patience of those impacted by the temporary closure, which allowed this matter to be dealt with in an appropriate and responsible manner.”

Police said that the man Liverpool believed had gone missing was not found inside the stadium.

“Officers and the club are satisfied that there are no people unaccounted for inside the ground and that the stadium is secure,” police said.

© AFP

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.