Late Dan Bailey field goal lifts Dallas Cowboys over Washington Redskins

Dan Bailey kicked a 54-yard field goal with nine seconds left to cap a furious final two minutes as the Dallas Cowboys defeated the Washington Redskins 19-16 on Monday.
With the score tied at 16, the Cowboys’ Lucky Whitehead returned a kickoff 45 yards to the Dallas 43, and two completions from quarterback Matt Cassel to wide receiver Dez Bryant picked up 20 yards.
Two incompletions followed, but Bailey’s kick was good with a few yards to spare.
“It’s a crazy game, man. This is a crazy game. We battled and we got the W,” said Bryant, adding: “We’ve got everything to win and everything to lose. It’s right there.”
“That was one of crazier games I’ve ever been a part of,” Cassel said. “The emotional roller coaster that you go through is pretty intense, but I thought that the way our team finished and the resilience we showed, it says a lot about the character of this team.”
The Redskins (5-7) saw their five-game home winning streak end and fell into a first-place tie with the Philadelphia Eagles and New York Giants in the NFC East.
Washington had tied the score at 16-16 on a 28-yard pass from quarterback Kirk Cousins to wide receiver DeSean Jackson with 44 seconds left.
Jackson’s fumble on a punt return with 1:26 left gave the Cowboys a first down on the Washington 15. Two plays later, running back Darren McFadden scored from six yards out, and Dallas led 16-9.
Washington’s Rashad Ross returned the ensuing kickoff 41 yards, and a facemask penalty moved the ball to the Dallas 43-yard line. Four plays later, Jackson scored.
Cassel finished 16-for-22 for 222 yards for Dallas (4-8). Bryant caught three passes, all in the fourth quarter, for 62 yards.
Cousins completed 22 of 31 passes for 219 and a touchdown.
Jackson caught six balls for 80 yards.
In a battle of field goals, the teams were tied 3-3 halftime and 6-6 after three quarters.
It was Washington kicker Dustin Hopkins’ turn on the second play of the fourth quarter, this time from 46 yards out.
After Dallas lost its third fumble of the game, Hopkins missed a 43-yarder with 7:26 left in the game.
The Cowboys appeared ready to take the lead in the final five minutes after Cassel found Bryant for a 42-yard completion down the left sideline to the Washington three-yard line. However, Dallas could not punch it in, and Bailey hit a 20-yard to tie it, 9-9.
McFadden fumbled on the Cowboys’ second play from scrimmage, and Washington safety Dashon Goldson recovered at the Dallas 38, but the Redskins were forced to punt.
The teams ultimately combined for just two first downs and 43 yards of offense during an inept first quarter. Cassel completed just two-of-six passes during the first 15 minutes, while Cousins was sacked three times.
Midway through the second quarter, Cassel strung together two completions — seven yards to tight end Jason Witten on third-and-seven and 38 yards down the right sideline to wide receiver Terrance Williams – setting Dallas up on the Washington 21.
After Cassel’s third-down pass fell incomplete, Bailey’s 38-yard field goal gave Dallas a 3-0 lead.
Washington responded with a 14-play, 58-yard drive as Cousins completed third-down passes to tight end Jordan Reed (12 yards), Jackson (17) and wide receiver Pierre Garcon (14).
However, an offensive pass interference call on Garcon erased another first-down catch by Jackson, and Hopkins’ 45-yard field goal on the final play of the half made it 3-3.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.